If you own a Glock 17, it’s likely because you want a small and compact pistol that’s ideal for discretely carrying around with you.
For a smaller concealed carry weapon such as this, a holster that will maintain that low profile and protects your weapon from exterior threats is ideal.
We put together a review that highlights four very different types of holsters, combining both inside of waistband and outside of waistband options.
We kept the budget within this review considerably low, but we did also include one higher end option for anyone who requires premium materials.
Materials – The Glock Sport Combat Holster can, guessing by its name, be assumed to be small and compact. The design is simple and is intended to be a cheap alternative to more expensive holsters with a lot of extra features that not everyone may need. The body of the holster is made of durable Glock polymer, and the belt loops allow it to fit belts from one inch to two and a half inches wide. The design is ambidextrous, so it can be worn essentially anywhere on the wearer’s belt. The main part of the holster is loosely shaped, so it can accommodate your Glock 17 (even gen 4) and any other Glock with a .357 or .40 caliber. There is a special trigger guard retention device within the holster to secure your pistol. The Glock Sport Combat Holster is a great standard OWB holster for Glock 17 models. It can even prop your Glock inside the gloveboxes of some cars!
Performance – This option is for anyone who simply needs a way to carry their Glock 17 around with them throughout their day. Of course, going with the Glock brand ensures the holster will perfectly fit your handgun, and there isn’t any guess work involved. The polymer material will keep your weapon protected for your average external threats for scratches and dings. With this in mind, take a good look at this holster: do not expect it to get you through any extreme conditions. That’s not what this holster is for, and that’s okay. Glock has provided us with a cheap alternative for the gunowner who needs to keep their compact handgun at their side or along with them for their car ride, and that’s it. It gets the job done, and that’s all we expect from this option.
What we say – The Glock Sport Combat Holster is the cheapest option within this review, costing you less than $15. Sweet! If you just need something to carry around your Glock 17, then go for this option. You don’t need more features, and you don’t need to spend more money.
- Cheapest option
- Glock brand ensures perfect fit
- Fits well on a small belt or in your glovebox
- Will not go above and beyond for you
- Ambidextrous design - Can be carried comfortably for either right or left handed shooters
- Made of Durable Glock Polymer and accommodates belts from 1'' to 2-1/2'' wide
- Special trigger guard retention device secures the pistol in the holster
Materials – The BlackHawk Serpa Sportset Paddle Holster is a uniquely designed holster for outside of waistband wearing with a few features that make it extra appealing. The entire product is made of durable polymer, and the holster is molded specifically to the correct caliber of your Glock. The paddle is designed with a unique horseshoe shape that slide behind your belt, and it will be held in place by the retention from the holster itself. The body has a special button that will only allow your handgun to be released when you press it down. Your gun can be securely reholstered with an audible click form that same button. Even better, there is a set of screws on the back that allow you to adjust this holster and wear it at any cant you’d prefer. You can also adjust the height that your Glock 17 will sit on your hip. This holster comes in gunmetal gray, and can be purchased for left handed or right handed shooting.
Performance – We really love the design of the BlackHawk Serpa Sportster Paddle Holster. Although it’s another outside of waistband holster, the design offers a lot of security and high functionality. Our favorite part is definitely the versatility with the cant and height adjustment. You can really test out what style allows you to have the fastest and smoothest draw. Despite your Glock 17 being more exposed than if it were concealed in an IWB holster, the special release button is a great feature that helps your feel more confident in carrying your weapon outside of the waistband. Our only complaint is that the polymer may not be as everlasting as a leather holster.
What we say – The BlackHawk Serpa Sportster Paddle Holster will cost you somewhere between $20 to $30, depending on where you purchase it form. This is a great choice for anyone on a small budget but would love a little versatility in how they exactly wear their Glock 17.
- Low cost
- Special release button
- Can adjust for cant and height
- Cheaper material won’t last forever
- Developed for civilian concealed carry and range use, but still has great patented serpa design
- Traditional polymer material construction found in other injection molded holsters
- Comes with paddle mount only
Materials – Our third option adds practically nothing to the exterior of the handgun, leaving room for any variance from the standard Glock 17 on the rear end. It obviously won’t allow for light attachments. The all kydex body is molded to conform to the shape of your Glock, and the two retention screws below the trigger guard offer an incredibly secure hold. There is a single belt clip which will accommodate a one and a half inch belt. The Posi-Click retention lock system is fully audible, meaning this is another holster where you can hear your Glock being secured into place. It also includes an integrated full sweat shield. The Concealment Express IWB Kydex Holster can be purchased for either left handed or right handed shooters, in black or carbon fiber black, and all holsters come with a life time warranty.
Performance – If you own a Glock 17, then you like compact and discrete, and Concealment Express’s low profile option is the best Glock 17 concealment holster to ensure that quality. The kydex material is a cheaper alternative to leather, but it offers better conformity and better protection to your pistol than polymer likely will. The molded shape steers us away from any uncertainty that our concealed weapon would rock back and forth within the holster, and the retention screws emphasize that feature. We’ll always give a thumbs up to a lifetime warranty, and the Posi-Click lock system seals the deal. Our only complaint is that, despite your Glock 17 being so lightweight, this small holster may make it easy for your weapon to get a little lost behind your waistband during the day. If you’re moving around a lot, or transition from sitting to standing often, we would suggest doing a secretive check to make sure everything is still in place.
What we say – The Concealment Express IWB Kydex Holster will cost your around $40 online. This is another amazing bargain, and it offers a relief from the OWB holsters we’ve been reviewing. This option will make an amazing Glock 17 or Glock 17 gen 4 concealed carry holster for anybody.
- Good cost
- Made of kydex
- Lifetime warranty
- Very low profile
- Single belt loop may allow it to get lost behind waistband
- INSIDE THE WAISTBAND KYDEX HOLSTER fits: Glock 17/22/31 (Gen 1-5) (ONLY unless Specified). Our minimalist IWB holsters are designed to be worn comfortably inside the waistband with an untucked shirt for proper concealed carry. We use .08” KYDEX precision formed over our proprietary in house CAD designed and crafted Aluminum molds. This ensures unparalleled consistency, fit, quality, durability, lightness, comfort, & uniform features across all of our holsters.
- EXCLUSIVE HOLSTER FEATURES: Undercut Trigger Guard keeps the KYDEX from interfering with your draw. Over-Cut Open-Face accommodates Threaded Barrels and clears Suppressor Height Sights. Full length Sweat Guard & Rear Sight Shield to protect your weapon from sweat. Fiber Reinforced Stealth Belt Clip, so no one knows you are carrying. We utilize all Black Oxide Steel (Phillips) hardware with Threadlock, so you can easily make adjustments but never lose a screw.
- ADJUSTABLE ‘POSI-CLICK’ RETENTION & CANT: When you holster your Glock 17/22/31 (Gen 1-5), you'll hear a satisfying ‘CLICK’ letting you know your weapon is securely holstered & won’t come out unless YOU want it to. Retention pressure is fully adjustable via the black oxide steel hardware forward of the trigger guard. Cant (or Carry Angle) is adjustable from -5 to +20 Degrees, allowing you to angle the holster perfectly for appendix (AIWB), strong side, behind the hip or cross draw carry positions
Materials – We can’t have a holster review without a Galco International product in there, right? The Galco Miami Classic II Shoulder System is our one high end leather option. The entire holster is made from premium saddle leather, which comes in black or brown. The shoulder straps are soft and pliable, and they come together at the center of the back with an enforced clover shaped Flexalon swivel back plate. All four of the straps can be adjusted for the wearer’s shape and size, and it fits a chest size of up to 52 inches. One side of the holster holds your Glock 17, and the other side can hold up to two additional magazine cartridges. The original Miami Classic holds a single magazine, hence the name Miami Classic II. Why not go for the extra storage?
Performance – This is a totally different option in both material, style, and allover quality. Galco International is a very trusted name with leather options and long lasting investments, and they shoulder style holster is a unique choice for the gunowner who has trouble holding the bulky shape of a gun at their hip but still wants that access height and reach. The straps over the shoulders are incredibly comfortable, and they evenly distribute weight to avoid neck cramping. We discovered that this is another great Glock 17 gen 4 holster, but you may need to practice with your drawing a bit so the end of your Glock does not catch on the holster itself.
What we say – The Galco International Miami Classic II Shoulder Holster is the most expensive option within this review, and it’s going to cost you around $175 online. We realize that’s quite a jump from the other price points, so this choice is really for anyone who has specific needs for this style of holster and material.
- Premium saddle leather
- Comfortable to wear over shoulders
- Holds two additional magazines
- Most expensive option
- Made using the finest materials
- Used by Law Enforcement, Military, and citizens alike
- Tested for durability and quality
Our Favorite Glock 17 Holster
We think the best Glock 17 holster is the Concealment Express IWB Kydex Holster. While the polymer options were functional, we know the majority of gunowners with a Glock want a holster for concealed carry. Concealment Express offers a very affordably option that keeps your Glock 17 discrete and secure. The kydex material is a step up from polymer and is more comfortable for all day wearing. The Posi-Click gives us that audible confidence of a solid reholstering, and a lifetime warranty means you have nothing to lose with this purchase!
Price incl. tax, excl. shipping/ Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API