In this Article:
The 9mm pistol has long held a reputation as a great round for target shooting and competition. Its greatest surge in popularity has occurred over the past 30 years or so as more concealed carriers have adopted it as their favorite.
What is it and why is the 9mm pistol so popular?
The 9mm caliber has several names, a few such as the 9×19 Parabellum, 9mm Luger, and 9 mil. It chambers the 9mm pistol which means the caliber has a diameter of 9 millimeters. The 9mm pistol gained its popularity because of its perfect balance of defensive stopping power and capacity. It was adopted by law enforcement and military officers worldwide, which was later adopted by civilians. Its reduced recoil is a huge advantage as it helps in faster target reacquisition and accurate and faster follow-ups. In addition, because of its small caliber, it can hold about 10 to 30+ rounds in one pistol. Plus, 9mm ammunition is cheap and easy to find. It is also lightweight and versatile. Many shooters use it for competition, self-defense, range use, and for concealed carry. It shoots faster and more accurately, packs a lot of firepower, and has less felt recoil.
BONUS OFFER: Get your free shooting range targets to print at home!
Get your free targets to print at home!
Types of 9mm pistols
There are many types of handguns that may be categorized according to their use, shape, size, and others. But for the 9mm caliber, we’ll give you a shortlist of the three common pistol types. These are the following:
- Concealed Carry Pistols: An ideal pistol for concealed carry is light, compact, robust, and reliable. This is also to ensure you can conceal and store it comfortably and efficiently for a long period.
- Home Defense Handguns: Guns you use at home can be as large as you want as you don’t need to conceal them. You just need to be comfortable using the gun.
- Range Guns: Guns for the range often come in full sizes. People often use these types of guns for plinking and competition.
How to choose the best 9mm pistol?
In choosing your 9mm handgun, you should take a few factors into consideration.
- Purpose: Determine your objectives to get the ideal gun that you need.
- Reliability & Durability: Reliability ensures your gun functions efficiently. Durability is your gun’s ability to withstand wear and pressure.
- Accuracy: The sights must be well aligned and adjustable. You can also test accuracy by practicing using the gun first before buying it.
- Storage & Safety: Guns shouldn’t cause harm or fire without pulling the trigger. Getting a pistol means that you should also consider where to store it safely and securely.
- Warranty: It’s best to look for a company that offers a warranty to give you reassurance in case something happens.
- Price: Make sure that the price is reasonable with the gun’s features and quality.
- Insurance: It’s best to get insurance if you’re using the gun for concealed carry. This is important for your safety.
9mm pistol: Pros and Cons
- Large magazine capacity
- Easy to conceal and store
- Cheap ammunition
- Low felt recoil
- Easy to shoot
- Quick reload time
- Prone to jamming
- Has low energy
Popular 9mm Pistols
Best Concealed carry gun
|Ruger LC9S|| ||$249 Shop NowClick to read my review|
Best Budget Concealed Carry
|Taurus PT111 G2/ Taurus G2C|| ||$382 Shop NowClick to read my review|
Best home defense
|Taurus G3C|| ||$340 Shop NowClick to read my review|
Best Subcompact gun
|Glock 43|| ||$489 Shop NowClick to read my review|
Best micro compact everyday carry
|Sig P365|| ||$448 Shop NowClick to read my review|
Best general pistol
|Glock 19|| ||$589 Shop NowClick to read my review|