The Springfield XD-S is an excellent 9mm subcompact handgun that, traditionally, would be most ideal for self defense purposes. However, Springfield is advertising for this model to be used as if it were your go-to full sized handgun. With that in mind, we put together a review of the best Springfield XDS accessories on the market, and we’ll let you know which one we think would be best for both self defense and tactical purposes.
The Springfield XD-S has a crisp trigger pull, but the grip is one of the most unique features. It is highly textured and ergonomically shaped, intended to be comfortable enough to fire all day on a shooting range or to utilize in tactical operations. It’s front sight is also unique, sporting a fiber optic on the 9mm model, as opposed to a more standard iron sight. The accessories we chose for this review all either enhance the comfort of the Springfield XDS or enhance the shooting process, from the moment you draw to the second you re-holster your weapon. While many gunowners who purchase the Springfield XDS will likely continue using it for self defense, we can see how focusing on some of the firearm’s unique attributes would make it more appealing to those looking for a weapon that is easy and light to carry but will see them through hours of use at a time.
Materials – The Pearce Grips grip extension is a simple way to increase the comfort of your Springfield XD-S compact handgun for those with full sized hands. The single piece is made of polymer, and it has a plain, smooth finish. It does not directly correlate with the existing design on the Springfield XD-S, but there’s no pattern or distracting appearance to it. Installation to the bottom of your grip takes seconds, and it will add about half an inch of additional length. Any additional weight is incredibly minimal, so it will not alter the feel of your pistol or your shooting performance.
Performance – There’s nothing in particular that stands out or is extra special about the Pearce Grips Grip Extension for your Springfield XD-S. However, Springfield tries to market this compact pistol as an everyday type of pistol, as if it was full sized. The average gunowner will want a grip extender, if they expect to feel comfortable using this handgun more frequently than for just quick self defense purposes. Pearce Grips is vastly popular, and it’s because the brand offers a standard accessory that isn’t flashy or difficult to install. The only downside here is that this option doesn’t really streamline the design of the grip on the Springfield XD-S, but that’s not a total deal breaker for most of us.
What we say – The Pearce Grips Grip Extension is one of the best Springfield XD-S accessories for those with a small budget and for those looking to use their pistol frequently or for long periods of time. It may be necessary if you ever want to get some target practice in with this firearm.
- Low cost
- Easy to install
- Adds ½” of extra grip
- Doesn’t match the appearance of Springfield XD-S
- Country Of Origin: United States
- Size Name:1-Pack
Materials – The Concealment Express IWB Kydex Holster is a lightweight and discrete holster for concealed carry. The Kydex is only .08” thick, and the entire holster only weighs just over a couple ounces. This holster can be purchased for left handed or right handed carry, and it’s available in either black or carbon fiber black. The belt clip is one and a half inches long, and it has two adjustable retention screws. The cant can be adjusted from straight up and down to FBI. There is also an adjustable retention screw at the trigger guard. The Posi-Click audible retention system will sound off when the weapon has been fully holstered and retained.
Performance – The Concealment Express IWB Kydex Holster is one of our favorite go-to concealed carry holsters, and it’s perfect for the compact and lightweight Springfield XD-S. The Kydex material is ultra thin, and it will keep your pistol as close to your body as possible. There’s also an integrated sweat guard on the holster, so your body heat won’t become an issue during the day. The option to choose between a straight strongside position or a FBI cant is ideal for the Springfield XD-S. The only issue we ever have with this holster is that it could have a little more coverage on the pistol, but adjusting your retention should resolve this.
What we say – The Concealment Express IWB Kydex Holster is one of the best Springfield XDS accessories for gunowners who would still prefer to use their pistol for concealed carry and self defense purposes. This is also just a great holster in general.
If you want to see a few more options check out our XD-S IWB holster compilation.
- Thin Kydex material
- Adjustable retention
- Adjustable cant
- Could cover more surface area of pistol
- INSIDE THE WAISTBAND KYDEX HOLSTER fits: Springfield XD-S 3.3" (ONLY unless Specified). Our minimalist IWB holsters are designed to be worn comfortably inside the waistband with an untucked shirt for proper concealed carry. We use .08” KYDEX precision formed over our proprietary in house CAD designed and crafted Aluminum molds. This ensures unparalleled consistency, fit, quality, durability, lightness, comfort, & uniform features across all of our holsters.
- EXCLUSIVE HOLSTER FEATURES: Undercut Trigger Guard keeps the KYDEX from interfering with your draw. Over-Cut Open-Face accommodates Threaded Barrels and clears Suppressor Height Sights. Full length Sweat Guard & Rear Sight Shield to protect your weapon from sweat. Fiber Reinforced Stealth Belt Clip, so no one knows you are carrying. We utilize all Black Oxide Steel (Phillips) hardware with Threadlock, so you can easily make adjustments but never lose a screw.
- ADJUSTABLE ‘POSI-CLICK’ RETENTION & CANT: When you holster your Springfield XD-S 3.3", you'll hear a satisfying ‘CLICK’ letting you know your weapon is securely holstered & won’t come out unless YOU want it to. Retention pressure is fully adjustable via the black oxide steel hardware forward of the trigger guard. Cant (or Carry Angle) is adjustable from -5 to +20 Degrees, allowing you to angle the holster perfectly for appendix (AIWB), strong side, behind the hip or cross draw carry positions.
Materials – The Trijicon Night Sight Sets air a pair of front and rear sights that can replace your Springfield XD-S’s original iron and fiber optic sights. Green tritium inserts are visible in both sights – two in the rear and one in front. You can choose between an orange painted front sight or a yellow painted front sight for a highly contrasting point of accuracy. The inserts have a twelve year warranty. The U-notched rear sight is designed to mimic the original dovetail rear sight on your Springfield pistol, and it features a grooved texture to reflect peripheral light.
Performance – Trijicon is another great go-to brand name for night sights. The Springfield XD-S 9mm comes equipped with a fiber optic front sight, but a pair of high quality night sights will really bump up your accuracy, as well as your ability to shoot at night! The Trijicon Night Sight Sets do need to be installed professionally, so that’s a little extra money you’ll have to put out. However, this is one of the best modifications you can make to this handgun because it stays in line with the original design made by Springfield. The U-notched rear sight and single dot front sight enhance your firearm without really changing how it operates. For the record, we suggest choosing the orange painted circle over the yellow because the orange and green tritium will give a strong contrast to the eye.
What we say – The Trijicon Night Sight Sets are one of the best Springfield XDS accessories for those who want to upgrade their fiber optic sight and feel they will need to aim in even low light situations.
- Streamlines the Springfield design
- Green tritium lasts up to twelve years
- Ability to see at night
- Requires professional installation
- HIGH VISIBILITY COLORED FRONT SIGHT POST: Glow-in-the-dark photoluminescent paint aids visibility and quicker target acquisition in transitional light
- SUBDUED REAR SIGHT: Angled and serrated surface to reduce glare, and black painted rings to enhance focus on front sight
- "U" NOTCH REAR SIGHT: Specifically designed rear notch enhances front sight acquisition
Materials – The Crimson Trace Laserguard consists of a highly protective exterior housing with a red laser housed within. The beam emits 633nm, which is the maximum output that is legally allowed by federal law. This is one of the most technologically advanced lasers on the market, designed to be crystal clear and accurate. The laser is activated by a pressure switch. Simply place your finger in its natural position on the trigger guard to activate the laser. Installation is easy; the laser fits over the existing trigger guard on your Springfield XD-S.
Performance – The Crimson Trace Laserguard is one of the best pistol laser accessories on the market today. If you can afford it, Crimson Trace is definitely the way to go. The company isn’t joking around when they say they offer the brightest and crispest red laser beam available to civilians. Installation is super easy, and you can do it yourself at home without a gunsmith. The pressure switch activation makes lighting up your target a breeze because you won’t have to look down or fumble with your fingers. This is another accessory that will streamline the allover appearance of your Springfield XD-S as well.
What we say – The Crimson Trace Laserguard is one of the best Springfield XDS accessories for those who need the additional assistance with their target acquisition. Adding a laser to your XD-S, will provide you with one of the best self defense systems during day or night.
- Best and brightest laser available
- Fast installation
- Pressure switch activation
- BRIGHTNESS: Features a 5mW peak, 620-670nm, Class 3R visible red laser that is in conformance with and complies with 21 CFR 1040.10 with a max power output of 5mW for a Class 3R Red Laser - the brightest beam allowed by law
- RUNTIME: 4 hours of battery life that runs on (1) 1/3N battery (included)
- EASE OF USE: Front activation button engages the laser immediately when the firearm is held in a normal firing grip - user installed - no gunsmithing required
Our Favorite Springfield XDS Accessory
Our favorite accessory for the Springfield XD-S has to be the Trijicon Night Sight Sets. While all of the options we listed in this review will enhance your accuracy and shooting ability, a good quality pair of night sights is an upgrade you can use for defensive and tactical purposes. The tritium inserts and neon painted rings are highly contrasting, and they’ll improve your target acquisition better than the original iron sight and fiber optic duo. Plus, Trijicon’s U-notched rear sight is innovative and (we personally think) much better than a regular rear sight. Despite having to invest in a little gunsmithing, the Trijicon Night Sight sets will last you a very long time, and the tritium inserts are warrantied for over a decade!
Price incl. tax, excl. shipping/ Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API