The G.P.S. Handgunner Backpack came out #1 in our 2020 Best Range Bags Review. This year our team has once again compiled a list of the best bags currently on the market and thoroughly tested and compared them. We have broadened the shortlist to six contenders covering gun range bags, rifle range bags, tactical range bags, and pistol range bags. We also cover more price points and styles than last year.
If you already know exactly what you want from your bag skip ahead to Our 2021 Range Bags Review. If not, let’s start with a few tips on what to look for when buying a range bag.
What to put in your range bag?
First of all, think about everything you want to take with you. The firearm, of course, but there are also other items to consider. You are likely to have ammo, safety glasses, targets, water bottles, and magazines. After all, don’t simply choose the one that first catches your eye. At least also consider the bags that will hold everything in a secure, protected way.
Things to Consider Before Buying
- Materials -One of the most important things to think about when buying a range bag is the material it is made from. These bags can take a beating and they carry a lot of weight, firearms are undeniably heavy, and the material needs to be able to withstand this strain. General wear-and-tear is to be expected, but still, you don’t want a bag that damages too quickly with frequent use. Therefore, choose a bag that uses a durable, strong material, especially if you plan to carry a lot of gear, and are lucky enough to do lots of trips to the range.
- Storage Options – For us, it is all about choosing a bag that can store everything you need on the range. You’ll quickly realize that these bags differ hugely in terms of storage. Some bags have removable dividers for safer transportation. This can also make the bag adjustable in ways that make it fit your needs better, and help you organize your stuff. Similarly, others have exterior pockets for additional accessories. Some brands add pistol rugs to their bags, and others have foam padding to keep it all nicely in place. Additionally, don’t forget to look for zippered compartments for the smaller items.
- Comfort – We can all agree that you will spend a lot of time carrying a range bag. Whether, going from home to your inlaws, to the range, or out on a hunting trip, carrying comfort is key. This is largely based on the shoulder straps, and it’s always a good idea to look for well-padded straps. Also, consider the weight of your gear. Maybe you need a backpack? After all, you do not want to be limited on what you can put in a bag simply because it’s uncomfortable to carry when it’s full.
- Size & Capacity – Pistol range bags come in different sizes and we recommend choosing a bag that has enough space for all your gear. Some shooters prefer range bags that carry only the essentials, whereas others want space to carry as much gear as they like. Though you are unlikely to find a bag that carries less than 15 liters, you will find many that carry a lot more. In our view, rather than compromising on what you can and cannot take shooting with you, choose one that can accommodate everything.
- Style & Design – As range bags tend to serve the same purpose, many people underestimate the importance of style and design. There are multiple types of bags to choose from, such as casual carry bags and camouflaged tactical bags. The style that is right for you will, obviously, depend on what you are using it for. If you are going on a trip with all of your shooting gear, a backpack is most likely to be the better option as they are easy to carry for long periods of time. If you are heading to the range for target practice, a bag will be sufficient. Most pistol range bags are available in different colors, so you can pick one that suits you rather than rely on our questionable fashion choices…
Our 2021 Range Bags Review
So lets get to it! This is our shortlist of the six best range bags of 2021. All, of them should be readily available to purchase at the time of writing.
Explorer Tactical Range Ready Bag
The lowdown – There is no shortage of room with the Explorer Tactical Range Ready Bag. This bag boasts front and rear compartments, two side pockets, a decent-sized main compartment, and 11 magazine pouches. Moreover, at 18 inches in length, this range bag is the perfect size for most calibers. In addition, the 600 Denier polyester fabric makes it durable, with a padded, adjustable shoulder strap for easy use.
There is also a set of carrying straps with Velcro closures, perfect for quickly picking the bag up and fine-tuning it for the perfect fit. The majority of the compartments – the front, rear and side pockets – have zipper fastenings that securely hold everything you need, from pistols and blankets to targets and water bottles. We also like that this gun range bag is available in various colors, including black, brown, camo, navy, ACU, and OD green. You are sure to find an option that works for you.
The Explorer bag works well for both range newcomers with just a gun or two as well as shooters looking to expand their pistol collection. Thanks to the strong polyester construction, this pistol range bag is durable and tough. There is enough padding throughout the bag to protect your items, though it lacks MOLLE webbing and elastic. With so many pockets in varying sizes, there is a compartment for everything in the Explorer bag. The one downside is that the magazine pockets are not as flexible as we would like, meaning magazines tend to slide here and there. Overall, this bag boasts lots of space and functionality.
Our Thoughts – With a price tag ranging from $50 to $90, the Explorer is one of the more affordable gun range bags on the market. In addition to being a good option for first-time buyers and newcomers to shooting.
- -Lots of padding, ensuring a comfortable carry.
- -No shortage of pockets for magazines and pistols.
- -An affordable, budget-friendly gun range bag.
- -Large top compartment; a lot of space for holding gear.
- -Does not have any MOLLE webbing.
- -Does not have elasticated pockets for handguns or magazines.
G.P.S. Handgunner Backpack
The lowdown – at 19 inches tall, the G.P.S. Handgunner Backpack offers a great deal of space. The main compartment has the capacity to hold up to four pistols. All of the compartments in the G.P.S. Handgunner Backpack are divided by foam inserts that can be removed with ease. We really like this feature. It eases cleaning and sometimes you just want to have that little extra room.
There is plenty of space for targets, water bottles, and ammo. There are two side pockets on the G.P.S. Handgunner Backpack, with room for 12 magazines, and there is a rain cover. All you need to do is pull out the rain cover and it will protect your equipment in wet weather. The backpack also has additional pockets at the top of the bag and these are the right size for small accessories.
You are likely to find the G.P.S. Handgunner comfortable and easy to carry. We especially like the padded shoulder straps. It is available in black and digital camo colors, both of which look great on the range.
The G.P.S. Handgunner is a popular choice among both amateur shooters and experienced range visitors, with many citing it as the best pistol range bag out there. It has a five-star Amazon rating to boot. With space to store everything, you could need when out on the shooting range, it ticks a lot of boxes. The pull-out rain cover is a unique feature and no other range bags have this, so it certainly sets this backpack apart for use in wet weather. Pistols are well-protected in this bag. However, it does not hold any firearm that is larger than a pistol, but that is to be expected from a bag of this type.
Our Thoughts – with a price tag of between $100 and $120 online, the G.P.S. Handgunner Backpack is one of the more expensive options. However, this higher cost is reflected by the bag’s impressive performance and features. Sadly, it’s a bag that is out of the price range of many shooters.
- -Capacity to hold four pistols and up to 12 magazines
- -Space for an abundance of accessories and additional gear
- -Easy-to-remove thick foam inserts
- -Expensive compared to other range bags
Subscribe & win an AR-15!
Sign-up today to get our new articles, exclusive gun discount, giveaways (free AR-15 anyone?) and a lot more of good stuff!
Gunmate Range Bag
The lowdown – made from 600D ballistic nylon fabric, the Gunmate Range Bag is durable and ideal for use in all weathers. It’s lighter than the majority of other range bags, but that does not mean it’s lacking in any way. The Gunmate can carry two handguns, a scope, shooting glasses, and a number of other shooting accessories. Additionally, everything is protected by high-quality padding.
The Gunmate Range Bag consists of one main compartment and two outer pockets with zippers. Compared to other bags on the market, the Gunmate Range Bag does not hold as much as many others. With a capacity of only 15 liters, some shooters may find this bag too small for them. It’s compact but is limited in space.
This bag has a pistol rug that allows you to store your gun safely going to and from the range. It also boasts a roll-up flap that opens to allow direct access to your belongings. Whether you are in a rush or you simply don’t want to empty the entire contents of your bag, this feature makes life a little easier. All of the side compartments are lockable, which keeps your gear safe and secure at all times. As the Gunmate is one of the lighter bag options, it’s easy to carry and perfect for a trip to the range. However, you may find it falls short if you are heading further afield or on a more serious hunting trip.
Our Thoughts – if you are looking for a simple gun range bag for an affordable price, consider the Gunmate Range Bag. We consider it to be a basic bag, but one that has everything you need for a quick trip to the shooting range.
- -Made using 600D nylon fabric.
- -Lockable side pockets.
- -Pistol rug is fully padded.
- -Durable, strong, and tough.
- -Does not hold as much as other range bags and smaller in size.
VooDoo Tactical 2-in-1 Large Range Bag
The lowdown – when it comes to the best range bag, we had to mention the VooDoo Tactical 2-in-1 Large Range Bag. It has been designed specifically for pistols and is durable, strong, and able to hold a lot of equipment; there is space inside to hold two or more handguns, along with additional ammo. The VooDoo Tactical 2-in-1 Large Range Bag boasts a removable center compartment, a unique feature, and something that many other pistol range bags do not have. In addition, like several other pistol range bags, the VooDoo Tactical 2-in-1 Large Range Bag has an adjustable shoulder strap and a shoulder grip. This makes carrying the bag comfortable and convenient. There are also adjustable, padded dividers, allowing you to move them around to divide up the internal space in a way that works for you.
If you have between two and four pistols and a handful of ammo, the VooDoo Tactical 2-in-1 bag is arguably the best pistol range bag for you. The removable center compartment is a fantastic feature and creates a functional space, which you can pull out when you need specific items and not the entire bag. However, we believe the VooDoo Tactical 2-in-1 bag is lacking in exterior pockets. You may find yourself somewhat limited on how much you can bring to the gun range with you, but this doesn’t take away from the simple, innovative design.
Our Thoughts – retailing at around $70 to $80 online, the VooDoo Tactical 2-in-1 Large Range Bag is decently priced. It ticks a lot of boxes for a basic, simple pistol range bag. It’s not a bag we would hesitate to recommend.
- -The center compartment is removable.
- -Creates functional, unique storage space using padded dividers.
- -Can hold between two and four pistols, plus ammo.
- -No shoulder padding.
- -Lacking in exterior pockets.
Condor Single Rifle Case
The lowdown – if you are looking for a bag that allows you to bring a rifle to the range, the Condor Single Rifle Case is likely to be the best bag for you. This durable, functional bag carries a single rifle, plus additional pistols and ammo. A rifle easily fits in the main compartment, which has a Velcro strap and padding. In addition, there is a medium-sized compartment for pistols, optics, and other delicate accessories. This compartment has padded areas for protection and, like the main compartment, is fastened with zippers.
On the front, you’ll find three exterior pockets, complete with MOLLE webbing and plastic buckle clips. The bag has two handles, which connect with Velcro, for easy carrying. It is available in two sizes, 36 inches or 42-inch length. Lastly, it’s available in black, olive drab, and tan colors.
By combining a pistol range bag and a rifle range bag, the Condor Single Rifle Case offers the best of both worlds. Whereas many of the best rifle bags only hold one or two pistols, the Condor Single Rifle Case holds more and has room for an additional rifle. However, in our experience, the pockets are unlikely to hold everything you need, and accessories, such as targets, ear muffs, and water bottles will need to go in a separate bag. On the plus side, there is a lot of room for firearms, ammo, and smaller pieces of equipment.
Our Thoughts – with a price tag of between $60 and $65, the Condor Single Rifle Case is reasonably priced for a high-quality rifle bag. It’s the perfect choice for shooters who use a rifle on the range but may fall short if you want to take a lot of gear with you in one bag.
- -Space for pistols and a rifle.
- -A range of closures; zippers, buckles, and Velcro.
- -Well-padded and comfortable to carry.
- -High-quality MOLLE webbing.
- -Limited space for larger items.
- -Cannot be carried over your shoulder or on your back, hand-hold only.
Osage River Tactical Range Bag
The lowdown – the Osage River Tactical Range Bag is one of the most durable gun range bags available. It has been made using 600D ballistic nylon protecting the bag from wear and tear, water damage, and bullets (at least we like to think so with that name…). The Osage bag is fitted with strong zippers that are perfect for heavy-duty use. In short, it will keep your gear safe and secure whatever the weather.
There are nine storage spaces in the Osage River bag including a large compartment with adjustable dividers and five exterior zippered pockets. The main compartment can be adjusted using padded dividers in order to organize everything in a way that works for you. The smaller pockets are ideal for ammo, magazines, ear optics, and other accessories. This gun range bag also boasts two removable pistol pouches and all compartments are padded for extra security.
With adjustable compartments and storage features, it is easy to make the Osage River Tactical Range Bag work for you. There are two versions of this bag available; Standard Duty and Light Duty. Both of these have padded shoulder straps and carrying handles, making it an easy bag to carry to and from the gun range. This bag can be relied upon and is built to last.
The Osage River Tactical Range Bag is available in black, gunmetal, OD green, pink and tan. It doubles as a standard travel duffel bag, making it a good investment for anyone who enjoys time in the great outdoors.
Our Thoughts – as we said before, there is no need to worry about heading out shooting in harsh weather as this bag is able to withstand whatever Mother Nature throws at it. We consider this bag to be a good all-rounder. It doesn’t matter if you are going to the gun range or hunting in the woods the Osage River Tactical Range Bag performs well and is a reliable choice.
- -Water and tear-resistant.
- -Made from durable ballistic nylon.
- -Two additional removable pistol pouches.
- -Spacious, with multiple compartments.
- -The pistol pouches do not have a locking mechanism.
Smith & Wesson Recruit Tactical Range Bag
The lowdown – The Smith & Wesson Recruit Tactical Range Bag is built for endurance. It’s water-resistant, durable, and strong. This gun range bag has been made out of durable ballistic fabric that protects your gear from moisture. Whether you are heading out in the sunshine or rain, the Smith & Wesson Recruit Tactical Range Bag will keep your shooting equipment safe.
The bag has multiple pockets for accessories, that help to keep things organized. Also, there’s a specific space for up to seven magazines and other areas for ammo, pistols, and smaller accessories. The Smith & Wesson Recruit Tactical Range Bag’s main compartment has two internal pockets for handguns and dual zippers to keep your firearms safe. It also boasts large center pockets for carrying notebooks, gloves, and a water bottle.
All of the storage compartments can be adjusted to suit your needs, including the large side pockets on either side of the bag. This range bag is comfortable and convenient to carry due to the padded shoulder strap. There is no need to worry about the Smith & Wesson Recruit Tactical Range Bag not being able to carry everything you need; it was built to hold up to 350lbs.
Our Thoughts – as a brand, Smith & Wesson is well-known and reliable, and we would recommend their Recruit Tactical Range Bag to shooters with a lot of gear to carry. Being able to bring up to 350lbs of gear means this bag is not limited in capacity or space. Pretty nice for those of us who pit several guns against each other at each target practice.
- -Made using durable ballistic fabric.
- -Water-resistant and suited to harsh weather conditions.
- -Easy to organize and store gear..
- -Can hold a lot of weight, up to 350lbs.
- -Zippers are not the strongest and may not be sufficient for continued heavy-duty use.
Best Range Bag – Overall
So what do we consider is the best range bag in 2021? Just as last year, based on our use, we would recommend the G.P.S. Handgunner Backpack to everyone who frequents the range, but the price tag may put you off. Upwards of $100 is a lot to spend on a range bag, especially when there are more affordable options available.
Best Range Bag – Affordability
Taking budget and affordability into account, we consider the Explorer Tactical Range Ready Bag to be the best range bag of 2021. Though it is lower in price than the G.P.S. Handgunner Backpack and somewhat simple in its design, it performs well and is durable. It’s one of the highest-rated bags out there and it’s easy to see why; it’s high quality and is able to store a lot of gear, but it’s affordable and easy-to-use. For as low as $50, you can get your hands on an impressive range bag that offers everything you need.
We consider the options listed above to be the best range bags currently on the market and you can’t go wrong with any of them. They are all reliable and fit-for-purpose though some do have specific features that make them stand out from competitors. Before making your final decision, consider the options and think about what bag would work for you. Do you need a backpack-style bag for a hunting trip or a compact carry-on bag for target practice at the range?
We hope you found this article useful and would love to hear your comments below!
Subscribe & Become a better shooter!
Sign-up today to get our new articles, exclusive gun discount, giveaways (free AR-15 anyone?) and a lot more of good stuff!