The gas block on most AR-15s is fixed. This means that no matter what ammo you use or what settings you have on your gun, the gas tube will allow the same amount of gas to enter. If you utilize a different weight BCG, suppressor, or buffer, this has obvious drawbacks. The fixed gas block is optimized for one of an unlimited number of settings by only allowing a particular amount of gas through. However, if you get yourself an adjustable gas block you can fine-tune the release of gas to fit your build.
|Superlative Arms|| ||$89 Shop NowClick to read my review|
Best Budget Buy
|Ohhunt Aluminium or Steel Adjustable .750”|| ||$29 Shop NowClick to read my review|
|Odin Works .750|| ||$84 Shop NowClick to read my review|
|Seekins Precision Low Profile|| ||$52 Shop NowClick to read my review|
|Master of Arms Adjustable .750 Titanium|| ||$150 Shop NowClick to read my review|
BONUS OFFER: Get your free shooting range targets to print at home!
Get your free targets to print at home!
What You Should Look For in An Adjustable Gas Block
- Size: Kind of obvioius, but sometimes forgotten, get a gas block that fits your barrel. Also get one that is not too heavy to keep overall weight down and the balance of your weapon intact.
- Materials: This depends on what kind of build you are aiming for your rifle. It also impacts on weight and durability. I would like to highlight aluminum, stainless steel, and titanium as my top 3 materials.
- Aluminum is lightweight but not as strong and resistant to heat like steel.
- Stainless-steel is stronger, resistant to heat and rust.
- Titanium is the strongest material in this list, and it weighs half the weight of steel. However, it is expensive.
Other than that gas blocks are pretty straightforward parts, so without further ado, let’s get into the top 5 adjustable gas blocks for your rifle.
The 5 Best Adjustable Gas Blocks
Superlative Arms Adjustable Gas Block
|Gas Block Material||416 stainless steel|
|Barrel Dimeter||0.625", 0.750", 0.875", 0.936"|
|Weight||1.34 ounces to 1.84 ounces|
|Gas Adjustment||(Patented) 30 locked positions, front of block|
|Bleed Off Port||(Patented) Front of block, which vents forward away from operator|
The Superlative Arms adjustable gas block has a “bleed-off” mechanism. It regulates the gas flow by sapping unwanted gas by allowing it through a bleed-off hole instead of restricting it.
Superlative Arms provides both the clamp-on and set screw style adjustable gas block. You can get them in any barrel size ― anywhere from 0.625 of an inch up to a heavy barrel of 0.936 of an inch. It’s made from 416 stainless steel and with either a melonite or quench polish quench (QPQ) finish. It approximately weighs around 1.4 ounces and has 30 lock adjustable positions.
To tune your rifle with this gas block, all you need is the long Allen wrench that comes with the product. Here’s a video to show you how to do it:
- Has a “bleed-off” mechanism
- Helps reduce recoil
- Has a clicking detent sound
- Has a built-in safety mechanism
- Includes a long Allen wrench for convenient adjusting
- Has a higher hole than standard gas blocks, requiring you to bend the tube to fit your firearm
Ohhunt Aluminium or Steel Adjustable .750” Gas Block
|Gas Block Material||Steel/ aluminum|
The next one on our list is a low-profile aluminum gas block from Ohhunt. I have tested this gas block and had no issue with it even after 60 rounds. It also wears a matte black finish and weighs around 1.05 ounces. You can get this low-profile gas block at any large market at an amazing price of $29.
- Affordable price
- Has a low profile design
- Easy to install and clean
- Finish is not nicely done
Odin Works .750″ Adjustable Low Profile Gas Block
|Gas Block Material||Carbon steel|
The Odin Works adjustable gas block has 20 adjustment points providing you enough options to find the ideal setting for your AR-15.
It is quick and easy to install. In addition, it has adjustable detent screws facing forward. You don’t need to remove the handguard, all you need to do is to reach through the handguard and tune it using an Allen wrench. Moreover, it’s made from carbon steel with a nitride finish. It weighs approximately 2.10 ounces and has 20 audible adjustment clicks. This model is available at most large markets for as low as $85.99.
- Available in clamp-on and set screw version
- Versatile and has 20 audible adjustment points
- Easy to install and adjust
- Excellent fit
- Brilliant machining with rounded corners
- Comes with cross pin, detent ball, hex wrenches, and set screws
- Not for pistol length gas systems and high pressure rounds
Seekins Precision Low Profile Adjustable Gas Block
|Gas Block Material||Carbon steel|
Are you looking to get an affordable low-profile gas blocker for your rifle? Then the Seekins Precision gas block is great for you.
Seekins Precision allows adjusting your rifle’s gas system. Hence, giving you a more even cycling and slicker performance. You can also use this in a suppressed or unsuppressed setting. The front of the gas block has a jam screw that locks your gas key in place at your desired adjustment using an Allen wrench. It also fits with a barrel size of 0.750 of an inch. Additionally, it’s made from carbon steel with a nitride finish and weighs about 2.10 ounces.
It is easy to adjust and operate. It also has a twist to regulate the amount of gas that enters the gas tube. Furthermore, it has a melonite finish for optimum durability and corrosion resistance. So, if you are looking for a regular low-profile gas block that does it job very well, the Seekins Precision is your best option as a go-to gas block for your rifle.
- Comes in an affordable price for its quality
- Easy to adjust and clean
- Equipped with a low profile design
- Melonite Coated to reduce wear and tear for long periods of firing
- Gas block roll pin is not included in the package
Master of Arms Adjustable .750 Titanium Gas Block
|Gas Block Material||Aerospace-grade Titanium|
|Finish||Black tetrabond, bead-blasted raw Titanium|
|Barrel Diameter||Black Tetrabond, Bead Blasted Raw Titanium|
|Weight||0.64 ounces (includes screws)|
For the last one on our list, we have Master of Arms, which has engineered an aerospace-grade titanium adjustable gas block. This clamp-on design not only looks cool but it also sports a heat-resistant property. It’s equipped with an 8-32 screw, and a Belleville washer. In addition, it wears a black Tetrabond or bead-blasted raw titanium finish. It’s also lightweight at 0.64 ounces. This gas block is the best option if you’re looking to build a lightweight rifle equipped with an outstanding gas system.
- Clamp-on mounting design
- Allow users to fine-tune their gas system for smoother cycling and operation
- Attaches with one 8-32 screw
- Has a Belleville washer to prevent backing out
- The gas port can be closed fully
- Durable and lightweight Titanium construction
Each of the products mentioned above excels in different aspects. They are all reliable and durable, capable of taking your shooting experience to another level.
But what I like the most is the Superlative Arms Adjustable Gas Block. It ticks all the boxes on our list of what we should look for in an adjustable gas block. Additionally, its “bleed-off” mechanism, and how it deters the accumulation of carbon residue won us over.
Our best budget buy is the Ohhunt Adjustable Gas Block. It comes in either aluminum or steel and comes at an affordable price.
Now, do you know which survival rifles are reliable when faced with stuff-hits-the-fan (SHTF) scenarios? Go ahead and read our article about the 7 best survival rifles.