The 1-6 scope is an all around versatile scope that can be used from running through 3-gun competitions, tactical situations, or even in the field hunting game. These scopes are becoming even more popular for AR firearms where higher powered optics are needed than the traditional iron sights.
What the 1X-6X scope provides is a perfect medium for short to long range engagement that is often sought after by users of the AR type firearms. These scopes are not just limited to tactical firearms and a perfect for certain hunting scenarios.
There are quite a few 1-6X scopes that are on the market, enough so that trying to wade through what belongs in the trash and what belongs on your rifle can turn into a full-time job.
In this article, we will look at several key component and aspects of the best 1-6X scopes and then list and discuss four of the best 1-6 scopes that will fit your tactical shooting needs.
What to Look for in 1-6X Scopes
- Construction: This one is pretty straightforward but extremely important. Aircraft grade aluminum is a requirement for these scopes as it is rugged and also light weight.
These scopes are often used on high caliber rifles that go through a lot of rounds. Because of this, your scope needs to be able to resist and absorb the constant shock it is being put through without having it’s zero setting thrown off. A sturdy mounting system goes a long way in keeping your scope accurate through thousands of rounds.
Whether you are mounting your scope to a tactical or hunting rifle, chances are you are going to be using the firearm in less than ideal conditions. Because of this, it is important to have a scope that is water resistant and fog proof. This includes a scope that will resist corrosion, by being tightly sealed and sometimes treated with a water resistant coating.
- Eye box/ Eye Relief: The eye box refers to the area where you can see a full image of the field. Because these scopes are often used for tactical purposes, you want a large eye box as your not often just sitting lining up a shot and want to be able to quickly utilize the scope.
The best 1-6 scopes are going to have a generous eye relief. This allows you to mount the scope in a position on the railing that gives you a comfortable shooting position. Because a lot of firearms 1-6 scopes are used on high caliber firearms, so you also do not want to have to worry about the ocular bell slamming into your eye every time you take a shot.
- Lenses: A scope worth buying needs to have top of the line lenses. These lenses should not only be coated to maximize light transmission but also be able to cut down on the amount of glare and light reflection that can throw off a shot. Lenses should also be coated to withstand scratching that can ruin a scope.
- Reticle/Focal Plane: There are numerous reticles available for 1-6X scopes and what you want in your scope is going to be a personal preference. Some scopes do use illuminate reticles while others may not. Some common reticles include red dots, duplex, and mil dots.
Some scopes might even employ some high tactical reticles that allow you to make a lot of shooting adjustments on the fly. Depending on what you have in mind you might want a simple, clear duplex or if you’re a hardcore 3-gun competitor, you might want a more complex reticle that gives you a wider array of shot adjustments.
The4 Best 1-6 Scopes
In the following section we will review 4 of the best 1-6x scopes and let you you know what we like about them and what could be improved.
The Strike Eagle by Vortex Optics is one of the optimal 1-6X24 variable scopes that shines in gun competitions, tactical uses, and hunting.
The lenses on the Strike Eagle are coated to maximum light transmission and glare reduction. This allows fantastic illumination even during low light conditions.
This scope feature a glass etched illuminated reticle. The reticle is a simple crosshair which can be a pro or con based on user preference, but you can’t argue with the quality of the reticle.
We like how the reticle of this scope remains clear and crisp from the 1 to 6X magnification and allow you to fully utilize the magnification range.
This scope is very rugged and durable. It will have no problem standing up to the constant jarring and shock from the recoil of high caliber rifles. This is helped by the single piece, 30mm tube that provides precise alignment. This design also gives the scope incredible water resistance.
While this scope is extremely durable, it is heavy and takes up a lot of room on the rail system, while this might not matter in most scenarios, it is something you should take into consideration before buying.
Vortex’s lifetime warranty also gives you the extra security of knowing this is a scope the manufacturer has complete trust in holding up to intense shooting.
This 1X6 tactical scope handles exceptionally well in the field. The turrets are quick and easy to manage when in shooting situations and stances.
- Phenomenal low light shooting
- Generous eye relief.
- Very durable
- Tight eye box
- Takes up a lot of room on rail
- The Strike Eagle 1-6x24 is defined by speed and versatility. Adjust to six power when you need to engage targets at a distance
- High quality, fully multi-coated lenses deliver a clear, crisp sight picture and optimal low light performance
- The illuminated, glass-etched BDC reticle features 11 illumination settings to accomodate for changing light conditions. An extra battery can be stored in the windage cap and easily released
It will be difficult to find a 1-6 scope that excels better at close to midrange as the Sig Sauer TANGO6. For those looking for a scope that can perform in the most extreme 3-gun and other tactical shooting competitions.
This 1-6 power scope is made from high-quality aluminum and fits well with any AR rifle. It is built to be shock, water, and fog proof and will hold its zero through thousands of rounds once zeroed in, which is also extremely easy to do.
The illuminated 3-gun reticle offers top performance for fine tuning your shots on the fly. While it may take some time to get a handle on the adjustments, but once you do you will find it difficult to use any other type of reticle.
The reticle brightness can be easily adjusted and remains crisp and clear throughout all nine daytime illumination settings. Sig Sauer’s advanced fiber optics used in their illumination system.
The battery life on the TANGO6 is incredible. The MOTAC technology contributes to this and will power up the reticle when it detects movement to conserve battery power. In situations where you might want the reticle powered up at all times, this can be adjusted.
Lenses on this scope are multi-coated and provide very clear and contrasting images to the naked eye. It’s going to be tough to scratch up the lenses on this scope. With the lens armor coating, you can drag this scope through any situation without fear of rendering these lenses useless.
This scope remains incredibly clear even when on the move, an important quality for scopes used in tactical situations. This scope offers very generous eye relief (3.8”) and a larger eye box than most scopes on this list making it much easier to move between scanning the field and locking on to target through the scope.
The windage and elevation turrets on this 1X-6X scope are easy to adjust and can be tuned in 1/2MOA increments. The turrets feature a resettable zero, and adjustments can be easily locked at any time.
Sig Sauer also offers a lifetime warranty on their scopes and will fix or replace any scope that malfunctions or is damaged through normal use.
- Excellent battery life
- Very durable
- Easy to adjust turrets
- Clear and crisp illuminated reticle
- Higher on the price range
- 3 gun reticle
- 0.5 MOA adjustment
- Field of view: 107 ft at 100 yards on low
This is one of the best 1-6X scopes that is available on today’s market. If you are looking for a 1-6X scope that excels in long range shooting than the Vortex Razor HD Gen II should be seriously considered.
This scope is built with a single piece 30mm tube of aircraft grade aluminum that adds to its durability and accuracy. When in the field you will be hard pressed to find a situation where this scope will be damaged enough to lose function. It is also tightly sealed and argon-purged for extreme water and fog resistance and will hold up during extreme weather conditions.
This scope features a BDC duplex reticle with a simple, easy to use red dot. The reticle is illuminated and can be easily adjusted through 11 different daylight settings that lock securely into place.
The lenses on this 1X6 ar scope provide clear and crisp images that also contrast objects extremely well in low light environments. This scope features a true 1X setting that can be shot with both eyes open, a fantastic feature for a scope needing to be used in tactical situations.
The turret system on this scope is one of the best around. Both the windage and elevation turrets can be easily adjusted when on the move with audible and secure clicks. The range of adjustments for both turrets is 50MOA so you have a lot you can work with during a variety of shooting situations. This scope is also zero resettable for when you need to readjust quickly.
This scope also features Vortex’s lifetime warranty.
- Excellent turret adjustments
- Very weather resistant
- Generous eye relief
- True 1X setting
- The Razor HD Gen II 1-6x24 is ideal for short to medium-range tactical applications where quick target acquisiton is needed. The JM-1 BDC reticle with an illuminated center dot facilitates fast, accurate shooting at distances up to 600 yards.
- The APO optical system delivers stunning image quality through premium, high density, extra-low dispersion glass. All lenses are fully multi-coated with XR plus anti-reflective coatings to increase light transmission for amazing brightness.
- A locking side illumination dial is located on the left side of the turret. This scope has 11 illumination levels with off positions between each setting, making it easy to find your preferred setup.
The lenses on this scope provide excellent image quality through reduction of glare and optimizing light transmission. What this gives you is a clear, high-contrast image from low to high light environments.
The reticle on this scope is rated for 5.56 ammunition in 55 to 62 grain, but with some time out on the range, you can adjust the drop compensation to fit your caliber of choice. This is a BTR-2 (Ballistic Tactical Reticle) that is above and beyond other reticles regarding your ability to make on the fly shot adjustments. It may take a little time to learn to fully utilize this reticle, but once you do you can open up shooting possibilities.
While the scope can withstand most abuse without losing function, high recoil firearms have been shown to affect the reticle stability and clarity. For most firearms, this is not an issue, but if you are planning on using this reticle on a high power rifle, you should take this into consideration.
This scope also offers a true 1X setting that allows easy go between viewing the field and acquiring your target within the scope quickly.
This scope holds up well in less than ideal weather conditions. The scope is filled with argon gas which excels in preventing lenses from fogging. This scope is also coated with a water resistant coating that will prevent corrosion of the scope body.
We love the windage and elevation adjustments on this scope. They are easy to manipulate, and the adjustments are crisp, accurate, and stable. Even when on the move, you will have no problem making quick elevation or windage adjustments.
- Extremely weather resistant
- Excellent tactical reticle
- Small eye box
- Reticle fuzzy at high illumination setting
- Ultra Wide Anti-Reflective Band Coating is engineered for every lens element in the optical path in order to optimize brightness and color transmission across the entire light spectrum
- Small size, low to medium power with high performance delivering maximum results at close quarter or medium range
- 30mm forged aluminum alloy one-piece tube
So, with this assortment of excellent maximum 6X scopes which one do we choose as our winner? We have to give the title of best 1-6X scope to the Vortex Razor HD Gen II.
There is a myriad of reasons why we would rate this 1-6X24 scope as the best, but the main reasons include the incredible optics. It functions extremely well in low light conditions, and it also has one of the best eye boxes of the scopes listed which is usually the main issue with these scopes. It is very durable and weather resistant and all around easy to manipulate and use while you are in the field.
We hope that is article has provided you with a better understanding of 1-6 scopes and that our list of the four best 1-6X scopes will result in a better shooting experience and performance for you. Go burn up the range!
Price incl. tax, excl. shipping/ Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API